|List of Trees 61-90||
In 1912, over 3,000 cherry trees were donated by Mayor Yukio Ozaki of Japan in the name of the City of Tokyo to our Nationís Capital. Those now form the grove that surrounds the Tidal Basin and adjacent areas in East and West Potomac Parks. In a simple ceremony on March 27, 1912, First Lady Helen Herron Taft and Viscountess Chinda, wife of the Japanese ambassador, planted the first two trees from Japan on the north bank of the Tidal Basin in West Potomac Park. In 1915, the United States Government reciprocated with a gift of flowering dogwood trees to the people of Japan.